Boy 2 paralysed after being bitten by spider hiding in banana bunch




Evan Waters spent two days in hospital after being bitten by the spider, which his mother fears could still be scuttling around their family home

A two-year-old boy was temporarily paralysed after he was bitten by a spider hiding in a bunch of Aldi bananas, his parents claim.

Evan Waters was thought to have been nipped on the fingers by the creature as he was eating the fruit at his home in Bishop Auckland, County Durham.

He was rushed to hospital, screaming in agony, by his horrified mother after his right hand swelled 'like a balloon' and became paralysed.




The toddler spent two days in hospital, where doctors gave him antibiotics for the spider bite, before finally being allowed home.

Aldi has since apologised for the incident and offered Evan and his family four free hampers and £400 in cash.

It remains unclear what type of spider bit the youngster, but his family believe it may have been a Tarantula, a Black Widow or a Huntsman spider.

The creature is thought to have crept into a box of the budget supermarket chain's 'worldwide' range of bananas while it was awaiting shipment to the UK from a warehouse.

It scurried away after allegedly biting Evan, leading his relatives to believe it may still be hiding in the house.

Today, the youngster's mother, Kellie Knight - who bought the bunch of bananas from a local Aldi two weeks ago - described the 'terrifying moment' she realised her son had been bitten by a spider.




The mother of four, 29, said: "It was horrifying to think my boy was hospitalised because of a spider hiding in the bananas. It was absolutely terrifying.

"The spider had already scurried away when we heard Evan screaming. But his hand blew like a balloon and he was crying for dear life.

"We had just had no idea what was going until we got to the hospital and doctors said it was a spider bite.

"We didn't know whether it was a Tarantula, a Black Widow or a Huntsman spider. We were determined not to fear the worst but Evan looked so poorly and I wished it was me who was bitten.

There is nothing worse than seeing your child like that and not being able to do anything to help. The doctor said it's a bite he had never seen anything like it before."

Evan was allegedly bitten by the spider on February 3 after Kellie - who has three other children Morgan Maughan, 12, John-Paul Maughan, 10, and Ellie Maughan, eight - purchased the bananas from Aldi.

John-Paul had picked the fruit up from the kitchen to take to school, but the Evan decided he wanted it for himself, Kellie said.

She added: "My oldest son opened it for him in the living room and handed the banana to Evan but no sooner had he done that than he began screaming 'mummy, mummy.'

"I hadn't seen the spider myself and had no idea what was going on but Evan threw the banana across the sofa and I knew something was wrong.

"He wouldn't calm down and when I noticed that his hand was swelling up immediately I had to do something - although at that time I never thought it could have been a spider bite."

The family went to Bishop Auckland Hospital, but when Evan's hand began to swell further he was rushed to the University Hospital of North Durham.

There, doctors and nurses began treating him with antibiotics to fight off the infection, which they believed had been caused by a spider bite.

Evan was kept in hospital for two days with his distraught mother by his side. Although his hand was initially paralysed, he later regained feeling in it.

"I was reading things on the internet and read that certain spiders were killing people within two hours," said Kellie.

"You can't imagine what it's like to read those things.

"I thought the worst at that moment, just thought that the poison could travel up to his organs. When you start Googling things, it doesn't help.

"The wound started on the palm of his hand, it was red, very swollen and very hard to touch. Then it spread up his finger and across the top of his hand.

"His hand was very sweaty all the time. I was very shocked as you can imagine, I've got four children living in the house and if it's still in here then there could be a risk to someone, someone else could get bitten.

"It was hurting him constantly, you couldn't touch it or bump it. Even when he was asleep he was holding it in the air out of the way.

"At first he was just upset, then I noticed the swelling and lump. He didn't know what was going on apart from having no use of his hand, it was really distressing for him.

"He had an awful experience, especially being so young. Even my older children were terrified to go back into the house.

"They thought the spider could still be inside and didn't want to go back. I've been told to contact Environmental Health to get it seen to and get someone in to sort the house out, just in case."

The stay-at-home mum added: "I feel angry at the fact that I had three other children at home that I couldn't be there for, because they needed me as well, I had to get other people to watch them.

"The doctors are happy with his progress now and he doesn't need any more treatment. He said another week or two and it will all be healed and back to normal.

"Evan's skin has blisters now, most of the swelling has gone down - but his temperature has still been high and his heart rate was up.

"The doctors put that down to the infection being in his system and used medication to help get everything back to normal. I panicked when I was told about his heart rate and temperature and I was panicking the whole time."

Kellie contacted Aldi through Facebook to alert them to the incident.

She posted: "WARNING. This is my 2 year old son in hospital he was bitten by a spider what was on a banana I purchase from Aldi causing a severe infection in his right hand."

An Aldi spokesperson said: "Incidents of this nature are extremely rare and we take them seriously.

"We have apologised to the customer and are investigating this incident with our suppliers."

Source: Mirror online
Boy 2 paralysed after being bitten by spider hiding in banana bunch Boy 2 paralysed after being bitten by spider hiding in banana bunch Reviewed by Elora Akpotosevbe on March 22, 2016 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.